The CSIS is a certification that tests individuals on several aspects of surgical instrumentation, including instrument care, identification, components, inspection, implants, and ethics. The CSIS designates an individual as a being proficient in surgical instrumentation, giving the tech a higher valuation and greater wealth of knowledge. The CSPDT certification must be obtained prior to taking the CSIS exam and must be kept current to maintain your CSIS certification.
The cost of the CSIS certification is $125 and the requirements prior to the examination are the following:
Only one of the following requirements must be met.
- Valid CBSPD certification as an SPD Technician (CSPDT) as well as meet at least one of the following requirements in order to qualify to take this examination.
- Completion of 24 months of full-time employment or equivalent part-time hours performing operating room surgical instrument processing activities
- Completion of a surgical instrument processing or surgical technology course with a passing grade of 70 or higher and 12 months of full-time or equivalent part-time hours performing surgical instrument processing
- Completion of 24 months surgical instrument sales or service
The cost of the CSIS re-certification is $100 and the requirements are the followings:
- CEU’s to Re-certify: 100 IN FIVE YEARS
- CEU’s Bonus 10 points for full-time employment per year.